Sunday, April 1, 2012

Catching Up - March!

Okay - so it's been a long time since my last post. I knew March was going to be crazy!

Newark
So, I'll start with my Newark trip at the end of February. I knew I was a star and probably (actually - in spite of) my previous television appearance, I was asked to travel to Newark for work and participate in a panel discussion in from of 300 people and have it live streamed to any and everybody at my workplace. Now - for anyone who knows me, I'm not quiet and had no problems talking. However I did have a problem with it being recorded for posterity. All in all, it was a great experience, with the exception of driving in Newark traffic. That part nearly caused me to have a nervous breakdown.

When I arrived the rental car company handed me the keys to a Mercury Grand Marquis. I turned right around and said, "I'm so sorry, but I'm not sure I can drive at all in NJ - much less in a land yacht. Please tell me you have something slightly more drivable?" They did - a mini-van, but I was scared to ask for  a third choice. It was hair-raising, but I was only flipped off three times, so I consider it a victory!

My Closet(s)

The shame of my closet(s). Yes - I have three and they were a mess. But as the weather warmed up, I knew I had to transition my spring / summer clothes downstairs and my fall/winter wardrobe back upstairs to the "spare" closets. I spent almost a full Saturday getting them purged and ready for next winter. While I did have to say goodbye to a few pieces, the world is probably better off if I never wear my wool walking shorts again. While they were VERY stylish circa 1991 (with tights and cute Sam & Libbys) - that era is no more. It recalls big mall hair that was body waved and (unfortunately) MC Hammer and Debbie Gibson on the radio. Let's all have a moment of silence for fashion trends of days gone by......

So, I cleaned out my closet to allow for a updated pieces of Spring. Apparently, Ann Taylor has decided that neon colors are in. I purchased an electric blue dress and a neon yellow cardigan. As I tried it on - my mind flashed back to my cousin's 16th birthday party (I was 13) and was SO proud of my new Esprit outfit. This outfit consisted of - yellow pants, and royal blue shirt with yellow/ red paisleys, and a red sweater. I was SPECIAL. Words can't even describe it. Sadly, no pictures exist (because 10 years ago I destroyed all potential blackmail material.) And yet - I still bought the dress and cardigan.

Birthdays


March is also a month of birthdays. My mom's was on 5th, Beth's on the 11th, my mother-in-laws on the 12th, my dad's on the 15th, and Mike's was on 30th.  It's an expensive month!  My mom is easy to buy for - she likes anything that I wear.  My dad and Mike are impossible to buy for. What do you buy the men that don't need anything and don't really want anything?

Mike saved the day for my dad. He recommended walkie-talkies for when they are at the lake, since their cell phones don't work. I suggested my dad could call into the house for coffee and my mom could bring it down to the dock for him. My mom wasn't as thrilled with the suggestion, but she was busy thinking of alternate uses live having my dad take one when we was working at the barn or at Ama and Papa's house.

On the other hand Mike - doesn't need or really want anything. Really. I finally decided to give the gift that benefits us both - a cruise!!! We are going to Cozumel in June and we are both really excited! It will be several days in a row with no work and no cell service. It's something that we REALLY needed! But I still wanted to get him something on his actual birthday - so I bought a bluetooth keyboard for his iPAD. But - here's the shameful part - I am not a "card" person , so I didn't get one; and I thought I had gift wrap. I did not. I had to "wrap" his keyboard in a used Disney bag. I will NOT win Wife of the Year.

No comments:

Post a Comment